Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Day 20 - Some Discomfort

Braxton is still at home between rounds of chemo treatment. Today he is with his Dad who is home from work on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. This is great because that means that Braxton is not so isolated on those days. Bayley & Zoe also stay with their Dad on these days, but of course they are in school during the day time.

Braxton had his spinal tap yesterday and it seemed to go well. But last night he called his Mom and complained about discomfort in his back. He was in some pain. He made a call to one of his treating physicians at the hospital and they decided it was probably a muscle strain caused by the tension of keeping still for the spinal tap.

So Braxton made a call home for Vicadin. That took away the pain and when he woke up this morning, all was better.

Today was the first day for his new, long lasting, very expensive medication, Nuelasta. He will get this medication via injection once a month. A visiting nurse came out today and we thought that she would give Braxton the injection, but she wanted Beth to learn how to do it. Braxton said, "I don't know about that!"

Beth and the nurse talked to Braxton for a while to get him calmed down, gave him his i-pod to listen to, and Beth stuck him before he knew it. Apparently it didn't hurt.

So Braxton is back with his Dad tonight along with Bayley and Zoe.

Still no major issues from his treatment and we're all very grateful for that.


+ posted by David

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for modern medicine! A shot once a month is sure better than every day or week.
I hope the snow has melted up there and Braxie improves as the temperature rises.
Love, Aunt Wilma

Anonymous said...

Hello all,
I am very late in communicating this. I have been praying daily, sometimes more, for Braxton and the whole family. Braxton is on my mind often through out the day. I had a long talk with the Lord the other night. (3am to 4am to be exact!) I woke up with him on my mind. I had a gripe with God. We don't have the tangable opportunity to reach out in faith for healing and touch the hem of Jesus' robe. We know Braxton is in God's loving care, we place our trust in the good care of his doctors and nurses, we hold out hope that his body will respond to the medicines given him. But come on! Where's the robe? I want to reach out and grab it! I want Jesus to turn and say by faith you are healed!
Here's what I got from our conversation; God knows we're all reaching. He knows we would be all over Jesus if he were here. He knows our faith in Him. I fell back to sleep with the greatest sense of peace for Braxton.
I know God is right at your sides. Keep your eyes on Jesus' robe.
With love and blessings to you all,
Debbie Roust

Anonymous said...

It is such a blessing to be able to hear updates on Braxton via this blog. My family goes to RCC and Braxton was in a Weds night class I lead a few years ago and my daughter Andrea is in his confirmation class. We think about you often and keep you in our daily prayers. Blessings. Jean Woodberry

Anonymous said...

Hi Braxton and everyone else up there in Minnesota. Just wanted to let you know we are thinking of you all. It is finally beginning to feel a tiny bit like Spring. Braxton, we are working on getting you some fun things to do to pass the time, really soon. We will be rooting for Kansas this Saturday!!! We love you and miss you all very much.
Love, Aunt Nicole, Uncle Tim, Nolan, McKenna and Teagan

Anonymous said...

Hi Braxton,
Brendan typed a nice comment but I don't think it got published. He worked a long time on it so I thought I better follow up.
Brendan is thinking of you and wants you home very soon. He's willing to help anyway he can! I want you to know everyone at the Ross house feels the same way. I hope I have the chance to lend a hand at any time! You are such a great kid and good friend to Brendan!
Take care buddy! We love you and want you well.
Sincerely,
Brendan, Jamie, Jill, Austin, Buddy and Sally

(Brendan wanted you to have his email too. www.starwarsguy11@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Braxton,
This is another attempt to reach you as your old grandma goofed up the first attempt. Just wanted you to know we are thinking of you and hope you'll be home soon. Thought about you a lot in church this a.m.
It was a beautiful day here in Poplar Grove! Is there anything we can send to help time pass a little more pleasantly while you're in the hospital or at home
during the day? I hear you like cold stone creamery (Grandpa's favorite) so we'll send Mom a gift certificate in the mail tomorrow. That might help the cold sores for now. We love you Braxton and you are always in our hearts and prayers. Love, Grandpa and Grandma Nord