Sunday, April 20, 2008

late night, early morning

Braxton is still sleeping but the hospital noises have woken me up. He's learned to sleep through it all, even when they come in at 7 a.m. to take blood from his port line. The people who clean the room come in at 7:15, breakfast arrives by 7:30 and the daily doctor team comes in by 8. Sometimes the docs will try to see Braxton later in the morning because they know that he's a 12 hour sleeper. The moms and dads begin to parade down to the Family Lounge around 6 a.m. for coffee.There's not alot of sleep for parents...5B is pretty quiet, but 5C (neo-natal ICU) is full.
Braxton had a good day, yesterday. He was hooked up for most of the day and had 3 chemo treatments. Cytophospahamide is a 15 minute drip 2x a day on saturday through monday then Brax started his 6 hr. Doxorubicin infusion just saturday. There's no roaming the hospital while on chemotherapy so we stayed put and filled our time. Discovery Channel is Braxton's favorite and he's gotten hooked on a song they play during commercials alot ( "I love the earth" song- anyone else know it?) Braxton finished his science homework, played Gateway Games on the laptop, I worked on my homework, we played Battleship (I won ;) ), played PSP...more homwork...more games... more tv...then I decided to take a walk to DQ! One of us had to get out of the room!
Braxton was, finally, unhooked from chemo about 10:30 pm. We celebrated by going up to the cafeteria for more ice cream :). Braxton is also on Prednisone, this time, which makes him antsy, talkative and hungry. We got involved in a game of SET much too late for me, but Brax was wide awake! SET is a card game of visual acuity and challenges you to find sets of 3 patterns on cards. It's harder than it sounds, especially late at night when one player is past her bedtime and the other player is on drugs. The lights went off after midnight sometime. So...Braxton is still alseep and I'm heading down to the lounge for coffee ( I forgot to bring my tea).
It's supposed to be warm and brighter, here, today. We'll see where he roams, when he wakes up!
-"...blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him."- Jer. 17:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work, Mom (Beth)!! I got tired just reading what went on today. It was beautiful here in Chicago Sunday. I drove Julie downtown to get some pictures of special Chicago sites with Flat Stanley. She was doing that for her nephew Dominic down in Florida. He's in 2nd grade and the class is sending Flat Stanley around to see the world. Today he got to see the Art Institute lion, the Millenium Bean, and Buckingham Fountain. When Braxie gets better, you'll all have to be Chicago tourists again. Any good books I can sent you in the meantime?
Love, Aunt Wilma

Anonymous said...

Glad you are having fun playing set Braxton! I think I'm going to have to call a rematch.

Beth