Saturday, April 5, 2008

Day 23: Divided Fronts

One of the hard parts of Braxton's struggle with cancer is that it leaves the family divided into two fronts much of the time. There is the battle front - the front line where Braxton's treatment is taking place (at the "Big House"). And there is the home front - the every day activities for the rest of the family where we try to make life as normal as possible.

Beth has updated you on the battle front, so I'll give you an update on the home front.


OUTING FOR EMMA

Emma got to go on a special outing with her grandmother today. They went to the Minneapolis Children's Theater to see "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie." Emma loved it! Her favorite part was when the Mouse came out on stage in its underwear. She kept singing "We saw the Mouse's underwear, we saw the Mouse's underwear ..."!


SERVICE FOR BAYLEY

Bayley was out on a Church service project today. Her youth group spent an overnight at the First Covenant Church in downtown Minneapolis and then they went out to do service projects today. They also spent some time at the World Market and learned about other cultures. They even saw some Buddhist monks.


PARTY FOR ZOE

Zoe went to a birthday party for her friend Marissa. They went and did service at "Feed My Starving Children" where they helped put together food supplies for children in Africa. Then they went back to Marissa's house and had cake, ice cream, and pizza.


SURPRISE SHAVE FOR DAVID

I went and got my head shaved to show solidarity with Braxton. I didn't go down to the skin, but went with the number 2 guard on the razor. My head is now nothing but 1/4 inch stubble!



PARK OUTING FOR THE DOGS

After the head shaving, Emma and I took our dogs - Sunny & Rufus - out to the dog park. Minneapolis has a beautiful dog park at the southern tip of Lake of the Isles. With yesterday's sunshine and sixty degree temps, there were lots of dogs and lots of people at the dog park. Emma and I (and Sunny & Rufus) had great fun!


DINNER FOR DAVID

Finally, I went out to dinner with my family to celebrate my niece's acceptance to the University of Minnesota at Morris. We had a great meal at the Cheesecake Factory in Edina. I had a Mojito, Louisiana Chicken Pasta, and Vanilla Bean Cheesecake. I also got a slice of White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Cheesecake to deliver to Beth at the hospital.

I met my sister Cathy's new boyfriend, Kevin. He seems very nice and I am happy for both of them.


That's all from the Home Front.


+ posted by David

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brax! It's been fun being in the hospital with you! You don't snore, you don't hog the covers and you sleep in!
xxxx0000, mom