Sunday, April 6, 2008

Day 24: grey, grey, gloomy day

Hello bloggers,

We're still in a holding pattern, today. Braxton is very low energy and not eating. Symptoms that will change as his neutrafil count rises. Yesterday's blood work had Braxton's white cells rising to 400 from <100. This morning they are at 900! Very good and quick improvement. His neutrfils, however, are not moving at all yet. Neutrfils are the germ fighting white cells. I've been told that they rise slower than the white cells but need to show an upwardly rising pattern in order for Braxton to go home. He is still holding onto a fever too. He goes back and forth between 100.6 and 101.2. He needs to be below 100.5 for 24 hours (or so) before the docs will let Braxton come home. We've been watching alot of sports (Go Kansas!) and Spongebob (what do you get when you cross Spongebob with Albert Einstein? Spongebob Smartiepants :) ) I tried to get Brax to roam the hospital with me but he just doesn't have the energy. We are enjoying the river view from our hospital window, though. Both yesterday morning and this morning Brax and I sat on the window seat and watched 2 rowing teams practicing. Those long skinny boats filled with about 12 guys and a small boat in between with the guy who yells "row!" are fun to watch. They start at one end of the river and race about 1/2 a mile down and then coast back, get ito position and race again. They raced for about 2 hours both days. Not quite like the rowing machine at the Y!

As I write Braxton has fallen asleep in front of the Twin's game. They're down 2-0 so I won't bother waking him up. He doesn't get poked and prodded too much during the daytime ours so he can nap without being disturbed. David is planning to bring the girls to visit and maybe get Brax to play Monopoly later.


-posted by Beth

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Braxton!
We were sorry to hear that you're back in the hospital. I know it can't be easy but for now that's the place to be. We hope you won't be there long. Take care. We think about you everyday.
Love, Barb and Rich

Anonymous said...

Hey Braxton,
Greetings from IL. Such a bummer to hear that you're back in the hospital. We wish you a speedy recovery and exit. While I know that you're a MN baseball fan, we here are thrilled to be watching the Cubs again. Hopes are high that this will be the year the Cubs win it all. There's something magical about the 100 year mark, isn't there? Other than baseball, I'm not that into professional sports so sadly, I cannot carry on much of a dialogue with you on that topic. Books & music - that's a different story. Have you read the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson? The fourth and final book came out a couple of weeks ago and I read it immediately. If you're not familiar, I would highly recommend it. Kids with wings, numerous fight scenes against the evil scientists, trying to be a normal teen-ager, and global warming are just a few of the themes. I thoroughly enjoyed reading all four books! Have you been watching many movies lately? If so, tell me about them. Perhaps you and I will have more similar interests that I do with Ian and Hannah. The horror genre is their thing. No thanks! Well, rest, recover and regain all your strength soon!
Much love, cousins Julie, Ian & Hannah

Anonymous said...

Braxton
I am really sorry for you. Now that you are in the hospital again I feel twice as bad for you. I hope you feel better soon.

ttyl
Brandon J

Anonymous said...

Braxton
Just found out you had to go back to the hospital...bummer. I hope your fever breaks soon and you start feeling more pep. Hang in there...you have alot of people praying for you and thinking of you...I hope you can feel some of our vibes...
Sue Johnson

Anonymous said...

Hey Braxton,
I'm sorry to hear you're back in the hospital, but its good to know that you're watching Spongebob Squarepants, Spongebob's quite a cheerful guy! It sounds like you have a very cool view of the river and Kansas is in the finals!!

We're praying for you!

Nate

Anonymous said...

hi braxton just checking how you are. I haope you get better to come home on Tuesday. give me a call so we can make plans to pla. get better soon:] I will see you later buddy.
from Brendan and family

Anonymous said...

Braxton when you come out. I am willing to have a party for you a fun party for you welcoming you back we can do whatever you want to do watch baseball play videogames whatever you want to do so you can be healthy again and do the things you want to do invite you to our cabin also I have something to tell you when you call

from your friend Brendan Ross

p.s. feel better soon.:]

Anonymous said...

Braxton,
I am glad to hear that you are feeling better. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help pass the time. Our youngest son, Taylor has had surgery twice and I know how boring it can be. If you would like to borrow a video game or two, let us know.

Pete, Nicole, Eliot, and Taylor Sherry (from the CDC)